Monday, March 21, 2011

The Virginity Hit (2010)

I might seem like I take pleasure in talking shit about bad films but I don't. As much as I enjoy wasting my time watching movies- I don't enjoy having my time wasted. Maybe I should know better. Maybe even the act of me thinking this movie would be like Superbad meets The Blair Witch Project should have implied how bad a prospective The Virginity Hit would have been. But this really caught me off guard.
A few days ago I watched that Idris Elba Black Ops film and that was poor but that was fine art compared to this. There is nothing redeemable about this film. I've seen worse and I wasn't holding high hopes for it but I can't remember when I saw anything so maddeningly crummy in every aspect, writing-direction-acting.
I didn't realise until yesterday that this was written and directed by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland, who wrote The Last Exorcism. That was a well-realised use of the faux-documentary style. Well thank God they didn't direct that because they really fumble the ball. A cursary look on IMDB, shows they're not majorly prolific but experienced enough to know better than to give the camera to the untrained people and you could successfully argue that, that is the asthetic; of boys making these shoddy YouTube clips but it doesn't add anything since this is a film not an Internet meme, it just seems miserly. Probably the most dreary aspect of the film is the writing. I'll admit that it did almost hoodwink me into believing that it was real and it was based on fact but the story is so unreal that it seems overdrawn.  I guess I thought it was too outrageous not to be true. It's about a kid trying to lose his virginity but the 2 main characters are step brothers and the youngest was adopted by the family when his mother died despite the parents only being work colleagues. Oh and his estranged father is a drug addict. Was that all necessary? Parents should be used sparingly in teen movies because after a while you start to question the logic of how they kids can keep boozing and partying if they're frequently in the background.
I guess that's if I wanted to give the film any credit (and I don't..), I'd have to say that these guys are totally believable as a tightknit group and they know each other better than they do in reality but that's as much as The Virginity Hit gets. I guess these 2 step brothers are supposed to remind me of Michael Cera and Jonah Hill but ones too insipid to be like Cera and the other is too abrasive to be like Hill. At no point do like or even respect the people who are carrying the film. It's just unremitting torture thrown in the one guy and the other one is just 100% unredeemably vile. So don't even watch this film for a bet. It's horrific.

I watched The Virginity Hit (2010) on DVD via LoveFilm.
My 2011 in Movies will return with Appaloosa (2008)...


No comments: