Friday, March 4, 2011

A Fistful Of Dynamite (1972)

One of my great discoveries in movies last year was Sergio Leone. 
I think my late arrival at that party had to do with the fact I don't like westerns that much and my introduction to him was watching Once Upon A Time in America, a film you will either lovelovelove or hatehatehate. But on watching A Fistful Of Dollars, I just fell in love. If and hopefully when I teach a class in film...  A Fistful Of Dollars would be the film I would say has that best use of time and pacing in any film. In any case,I sought out his other westerns soon after; he basically made westerns for people who don't like westerns. They're fast, exciting and dangerous. I know westerna are supposed to be like that, his movies are like John Wayne pictures on steroids. But steroids with BIG BALLS, guero! He also changed how action films were made.  Yes, there were close-ups and violence in movies before but it never looked as stylish as A Fistful Of Dollars. Any action director who doesn't count him as an influence is lying. Obvious imitators would be Rodridgez and Tarantino but even guys like Walter Hill and if I may be so bold, Scorcese and De Palma.
But back to the matter in hand... Which is a better name for a film-  A Fistful Of Dynamite or 'Duck You Sucka'? Hmmm. I fear in this one, I'mma say A Fistful Of Dynamite but that just cos I like fire and explosions; I would take the time to watch anything called 'Duck You Sucka' and be glad for the opportunity; in any case, 'Duck You Sucka' was the original title-Dynamite came later presumably cos the other title may have been confusing.
Not confusing is the story of this film; It's basically the story of a pretty dumb Mexican criminal with his Dickensian-style child gang of thiefs and murderers and this former Irish terrorist/current explosives expert, played by James Coburn.  The Mexican gang-leader played Rod Steiger is half Brando-half Buddy Hackett. Probably more Brando than Hackett but he so flaming schlubby and surly yet he is full of charm and magnetism; strangely he also looks like Sergio Leone but he's brilliant in this. I don't think Coburn is as good, but this character is a lot more straight anyway; not as fun to play. Also, and this is in no way his fault but when ever Leone does a flashback to him in Ireland, they're just so homoerotic, for lack of a better word. They're shot in slo-mo and it's him spending tube with his best friend and a girl but no one's paying any attention to the girl. It's... It's strange cos I know that that's not subtext that's meant to be there.
Apart from that, my only beef is that it's too long at 2hrs 30mins; I think there enough going on and it's not boring but I don't think it warrants that long. But it is pretty great, some of the most amazing explosions ever seen and it is a lot of fun to watch.



I watched A Fistful of Dynamite (1972) on DVD, via LoveFilm.
My 2011 In Movies will return with Shadow Of A Vampire (1999)...


No comments: