Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Edge of Love (2007)

I didn't ever imagine it would have the patience to watch this film. I dislike the ponderous nature of Dylan Thomas, who in my opinion losses his talent upI against whatever wall he was propping himself upon. Somehow this isn't really that much about him and more a love triangle with 4th people. Love square? Hmm not sexy enough... Love Rhombus? Love Trapezium? It's pretty despite what I would falsely concieve as a shitty cast. I don't know how but I seem to be discovering all these films were normally shitty actors can act... The Edge of Love is like a bonanza of this. It's 3 leads are actors i've frequently wondered how they got so far. Kiera Knightly has been so-so in most things but she's great in this film and Sienna Miller is another one. Her acting party piece is weighty manic depression bit (she used it in Alfie) and she uses it to good effect here as Caitlin Thomas, my sister's namesake. And not to be unpatriotic but where the hell did Matthew Rhys come from? I don't remember him being on television before he was doing movie like Ioan. Well he's doing tv now! Sorry. No, he aquits himself pretty well as Dylan Thomas-surprisingly so, to the point you forget.
And it's beautiful to look at too, John Maybury has managed to make West Wales look like Tahiti in some panoramic shots; the style and ambition of the film bely its likely modest budget, i mean there's even a warfare sequence that Keira Knightly's other love interest in the film, Cillian Murphy gets to be in. I don't know how long he spent thinking about making this film and visualizing it but it is a great job. Another pleasant surprise I was not expecting. And the story drags after the halfway point but it's so striking to watch in the first half that you almost forgive it...

I watched The Edge of Love (2007) on BBC IPlayer
My 2011 in Movies will return with Lonely Hearts (2007)...


No comments: