Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hall Pass (2011)

I didn't really like going to the cinema before the age of 10. I think it made me feel agrophobic or something but I distinctively remember that Dumb and Dumber being the first film I really needed to see just that picture of Harry and Lloyd having their hair cut (which I don't think was in the film). It was the reason I first bought Empire magazine just get whatever snippets of info about the film and Jim Carrey. I remember seeing it on Easter weekend when I was ten in the Odeon on Queen Street in Cardiff. And it was my favorite film for a long time.  And then when There's Something About Mary came out when I was 14, that my favorite movie. The Farrelly's had done it again.
I guess my point is that despite falling off thru the last decade, maybe out of nostalgia, They were important in forming what I love about comedy and movies that I'm really want the Farrellys to deliver these funny comedies cause I know how good they can be.
Guess what?
Somehow they've managed to do another one and it feels so good!
There was a point half way through where I was literally crying in laughter.
I'm not saying it's the best comedy of the year or close to the Farrellys 1st films but it's a lot of fun to watch.
I think to be fair, making a broad comedy about marital infidelity would be like walking a tightrope in terms of keeping the tone light. You don't want these guys to cheat on their wives of visa-versa; not that I'm suggesting that we think they will- Hall Pass is as predictable as you'd expect not that that's a diss and I don't think you'd get away with it if you didn't love these soldiers played by Owen Wilson and Jason Sudekis. I love Sudekis on this.  He's amazing on Another though I feel he gets too much attention on there but that's a good problem.  In this his brand of misplaced confidence is just delightful. You just know he's gonna have a great comedy career. We know I already love Owen Wilson and it's a bit jarring to see him look so dowdy or at least as dowdy as Owen Wilson could look. He's good here but he's like the straight man for Sudekis; in fact I think his character is the straightest main character in Farrelly Bros. movie. Even Ben Stiller characters in their movies have wierd or dark querks and Owen Wilson always has these facets to his character in all his movies... so yeah it's weird.
As you might hope, Stephen Merchant is great for the short time he's in it. As is JB Smoove. I think it's a litmus test for liking this movie if you find the idea of them being brothers-in-law funny. It's only mentioned in passing and they don't elaborate on it but the imaginary backstory just cracks me up. It's like they met Stephen at a dinner party and asked him to do 2days on the film and he just ad-lib'ed his own stuff and costume. I'm into it though.
The only thing that lets Hall Pass down is the wife parts. I don't know why but they've insisted on making it about these guys wives as well but when we go to them it drags the hell outta the movie. It's a nice idea but no expects the Farrelly Bros, of all people to cover the middle age female experience.
But most importantly, Hall Pass exceeded my small expectations and the Farrellys haven't done that for too long.  It's nice to have them back...


No comments: