Thursday, March 17, 2011

Easy A (2010)

There was quote that I've carried around since I heard it from the great comedienne Amy Poehler, who was asked if it could be possible to make a female equivalent of Superbad and she said that all you had to do was change the names from Jack to Jill, basically. I'm not sure but I think Easy A would be the somewhat that movie. I mean I really love Superbad-its the film is wanted to see when I was 15, probably earlier. It's dirty and heartfelt, and funny and sad. I guess that's why I think Easy A is similar, it's all those adjectives too but it's a lot more subtle, more chaste, more romantic. Girlier then.(On a side-note, a 15 cert is way too high for this film, BBFC-12 would be a better fit.)
The other prize both films share is Emma Stone, who it goes without saying I had a massive crush on since Superbad. I always hoped she would get her own movie and now she has. In fact, she has to carry the whole movie. If you didn't like her, then the movie would be scrubbed and she hasn't really made that many films but of course you fall in love with her, she's smart and strong and cute. But there's also a great cast of fingers like Thomas Haden Church, Lisa Murrow and Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci, who play the girl's parents. They don't get much time in the film; not as much as you'd like but they're so good; you just love them too.
But it's full of young talent too like Dan Byrd and Amanda Bynes. I've been a massive Amanda Bynes fan for so long too, since The Amanda Show on Nickleodeon. She's been so unlucky in catching breaks in her career. It just goes to show how much timing has to do with success.
But anyway this is the Emma show and she's consistently good but you have to give writer Bert V. Royal his dues. He's written a funny and broad parable about teenage sexuality and virginity. I don't think it's one of the best because I like dirtier teen movies-this is too broad for me but I made me think that girls would love this and how I want them to throw the Twilight away and watch this!
Yeah, this is a better take on a young woman's most sacred gift. It's not about the act itself but the aftermath and what it means when a young girl starts being sexual, realising what makes you feel powerful and what makes you feel uncomfortable.
That's why Easy A was such a sleeper hit- it's light and likeable, very funny but there's a lot of heart and sensitive.


No comments: