Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shadow Of A Vampire (1999)

I love movies about making movies. 
This is the presumably fictional story of the making of F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, I say presumably because the film is implying that Max Schreck, the actor that played Nosferatu was actually a vampire that made a deal with Murnau in exchange for the body of the leading lady. Like I say- I'm not convinced it's the strict truth. But I'm not one to say that'll get in the way of a good story; I guess what I found most interesting was how they made films at the turn of the 20th century, like all the technicians on set wore white coats and goggles, presumably to see the world in monochrome. I still don't understand why the white coats.
In hindsight, this film could have been the biggest battles of overacting in film- it features John Malkovich, Willem Defoe, Eddie Izzard, Cary Elwes and the big dog of over-acting himself, Udo Kier. That's no diss to it- I love overacting but sadly it doesn't degenerate into that on this film. Sadly, it appears like Malkovich got a bit shouty and everyone else backed off. There are points where Kier looks at Malkovich like 'Chilllll John, do you want my lunch money? Take it but i'm on a fixed income over here. There's enough movie to go around for everyone, John... 'nough movie to go around for everyone'. Udo Kier being the voice of reason in a movie is like going to an air show and leaving without seeing a plane crash- remarkable but disappointing.
I kid. But if anything you'd have to say there's too much talent in this film and no one really survives a scene with El Malkovich. I mean he's good but like I say..shouty. and I know he's playing a hit on drugs but we don't do the 'I'm crazy cos I'm on drugs' bit anymore. You must have missed that day at Steppenwolf.
But Cary Elwes and Izzard almost make a mark, especially Elwes with his ubermensch haircut and Willem Defoe is petty good as this creepy vampire. It's good to see a non-schmexy vampire- I've never understood how humanoid-leechs, could be considered sexy but I know I'm missing the point.
In a strange turn up and not because It's particularly good though it's fairly watchable- i'd say It's too short. I know I said that if I said a movie was top short it would be high praise but I think the concept is worth more then 75mins.



I watched Shadow Of The Vampire (1999) on BBC IPlayer.
My 2011 in Movies continues with Unknown (2011)...


No comments: