Thursday, March 24, 2011

Anuvahood (2011)

Adam Deacon is the probably the best thing or most memorable thing in any of the British urban or gangster films of late. Kid's got charisma. There's no other words for it. He usually play a brash mean cocky prick on whatever he's in but you're happy to see him. That said if i was running a film company and he came in thru my door and said he wanted to talk about a project i'd say great. If he wanted to make the script he wrote, I'd say 'umm interesting' but really if he wanted to direct that film too...  well if don't know if I'd be that brave. Well I've never been happier to not be a movie exec and huge props to the guys at Revolver Entertainment, who have been making great distribution choices for so long now because I have to say Anuvahood is a resounding success in my blog. I guess stylistically this is closest to an East London 'Friday' not that I really liked that movie. On the review I read of this film, an exercise in don't indulge in much these days- they made out this was a spoof of the recent British hood movies. Excited to see what this Adam Deacon joint looked like, my heart dropped. Not that you can't make a hood movie spoof- I love (most) of 'Don't Be A Menace... ' but spoofs are a genre so difficult to land as I've said before. Thankfully that reviewer must have been watching a completely different film because this no spoof, just a pretty broad comedy.
I think the Deacon's genius in making Anuvahood is he keeps his scale small setting it on a single estate block and the story is pretty much about his character-K(enneth); like I say he's not even written or directed for tv before but he does have other a co-writer and co-director. Now this is film fairly well directed but I won't say it the best writing you'll see but instead it's filled with great characters. Now as a rule of thumb, I'd say lots of characters at the same time in a debut like this going to be too many plates spinning but they're all so oustentatious and dynamic, they just revitalise the film, especially the 'hater' played by Femi Oyeniran and Tyrone, the neighbourhood bully played by Richie Campbell.
Now when i say, 'broad comedy'... this is not likely to be everyone's cup of tea, the film is extremely heavy in British urban patios and there are fairly unnecessary gross-out moments but none more than a Farrelly Bros picture.  But as much as I wanted to like it, i think it is a good effort and it is a strong debut but more importantly, it is very funny! It's a great example of British film-making and you would be unlikely to find a better urban film this year.
I look forward to seeing whatever Deacon wants to make next..

I watched Anuvahood (2011), at the cinema.
My 2011 in Movies will return with You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (2010)...


No comments: