Thursday, June 30, 2011

Season Of The Witch (2011)

With Bad Lieutenant and KickAss as well as other stuff but mainly the above, Nicholas Cage was on a good streak last year. With forgettable tut like Season of the Witch, he may as well hope the skids are as cosy as when he left them.
I make no bones about the Nicholas Cage I Like on celluloid- the balls-out, pin-drop pupils, bad jokes, strutting, 'menk-tal' one,the sensitive but tough family man one can run the marathon.
Now I know the guy's got kids and needs to pick up a check but can't imagine he made that much on a film made in Eastern Europe and where Ron Pearlman is the second lead (no offence Ron. ); he decided to make this off his own back, that is certain.
I'm sure it has to do with the fact he likes all this swords and scorcery BS and I can take it, when it's done well but there's nothing at all original about this film- there's something about the church trying witches at the time of the Crusades or something going on.. I wasn't paying a heckload of attention. They have to transport a suspected witch to somewhere because... Some guff.
On the the other hand, a lot of goodly British actors are picking up a cheque like Stephen Graham and Stephen Campbell Moore and the whole reason for the rental, the man himself- Robert Sheehan. Honestly, i could tell this movie would be a schnore but I knew he was in it and well that was enough for me, but for some dumb reason- they're all talking in these generalised American accents!? Sheesh- what gives? They throw him no meaty bones and thereby he's grasping at straws for stuff to do.
But more fool me for expecting something decent from an obviously undecent film. This film makes Drive Angry look like A Clockwork Orange and Drive Angry was a greesy demo showing reel for hard R rated 3D exploitation flicks (I still think of it fondly)...

I watched Season Of The Witch (2011) on BluRay, via LoveFilm.
My 2011 in Movies will return with Howl (2010)...


No comments: