Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bridesmaids (2011)

I've been looking forward to this film for a while, so when the chance came up to get preview tickets, i was quite diligent in getting them (I'm usually too slow in getting those tickets usually).
It's a condescending statement to make but i've always wanted to see that comedy where girls are mischievous and funny, like in the films i love like Superbad or Withnail And I. I mean most of the women in my life are really funny and funny women are so sexy to me. Too much information I know but ... still at some point, these films turn into identikit romcom tripe. I mean I'm (fairly) romantic (I'm not made of stone!) and i love comedy- romantic comedies should be glorious but they're usually neither. Bridesmaids solves that problem by removing the romance angle.
Okay, it doesn't actually but it's not the crux of the film, just a sub-plot. When the film works best, it's when these women are all together and playing off each other and the other strength is that all but 2 or 3 characters in the film are women. It should go without saying that Kirsten Wiig is brilliant, mostly playing the straight woman it should be said. If I'm honest I found her sketches on SNL really irritating TO START but then I quickly realised how super talented she is not performing comedy. But then in her modesty, she's not only co-written a film to showcase her talents- she created a world for all these other talented women to work too like Rebel Wilson and more obviously, Melissa McCarthy. She's going to big star now after her role as tenacious Megan and I get the feeling... It maybe something I read but I think they reshot to put more of her in the film based on the stirling work she was doing. But then there's Chris O'Dowd and Jon Hamm as Kristen's good and bad love interests; Hamm gets to be deliciously vile and the lovely Chris O'Dowd gets to be the sweet guy. THEY MAKE SUCH A CUTE COUPLE.
Well put together by Paul Feig and Judd Apatow, it's just a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours in the cinema and you feel good leaving the cinema. It's funny and delightful and sweet. I have could watch this film over and over again and in a year, where everyone is making these dirty comedies- it's nice to see one that's as funny as it is naughty.

I watched Bridesmaids (2011) at the cinema.
My 2011 in Movies will return with Norweigian Ninja (2010)...


No comments: