Thursday, June 9, 2011

Norweigian Ninja (2010)

Lost in translation- that's the closest to a positive, I can give this film. As will become very apparent, this film was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in watching a film in some time. I'm not sure how but I guess my expectations were too far wide of the gap. The cover art/poster of the film is great as is the evocative title- Norweigian Ninja. I guess I was hoping for a Norwich version of a exploitation flick or a quirky pale Black Dynamite but it's nothing close to that.
For one, it's not funny and it might be lost in the language gap but there's a definite unsuccessful sardonic tone to proceedings.
There's little to no action or any other exploitative qualities either and this leaves the film to be reminicent of an Action Man advert, where these guys are preparing to fight an enemy but there's very little of that too.
So there's not really much else, I can say about it since my knowledge of Nordic cinema is certainly limited but I hope the record shows that i certainly didn't come at this film, with knives out and I really wanted to see this idiosyncratic take on the exploitation film or even the spy film, like say the OSS films. It's a crime for any film to be boring but for an action film, Norweigian or not- it's still quite inditement.

I watched Norweigian Ninja (2010) on DVD, via LoveFilm.
My 2011 in Movies will return with Cecil B Demented (2001)...


No comments: