Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Rainbow (1988)

How did I come about watching this very forgotten, strange but intrinsically British film called The Rainbow? I was looking for something to watch on BBC IPlayer, when i came across the following description:- 'Drama focusing on an adolescent who dreams of transcending her dreary reality and experiencing the gamut of human emotions and sensations'.  Now call me naive but I was hoping this would be a philosophical journey of the mind and finding a path in our modern world with brief to mild boobage. Well...  I was right about the boobage.
The Rainbow, based on the book by D.H Lawrence (Calm Down-I said mild boobage...) is the story of a young girl with burgeoning feminist ideals at the turn of the 20th century, when those weren't quite about yet, as directed by Ken Russell (Calm Down-I said mild boobage...). Either way, i watched it for my sins.
For me, it's insane to think of a time,  when women were treated like second-class citizens; where they were limited in what they could do and where they travel and generally, be judged on how they live their lives. This would be down to the fact women scare the crap out of me and I'd feel safer with a moltov cocktail as they're more predictable. Seriously, I generally generalise women to be smarter then men as people who are likely to be more methodical and wise. Men are generally more basic and transparent in their actions. I know I am. Maybe this is why I couldn't completely engage with this story, where this young woman has to fight for the basic respects women come to easily, in this day and age (as it should be); where she has to fight to have her opinion heard, be allowed into further education and be allowed to work. Along the way she gets into relationships with a sapphic gym teacher (Amanda Donohoe) and a soldier (Paul Mcgann).  Both inspire her to mature over time but both have their limitations in terms of allowing her to develop further- the teacher is still too deferential to men despite her calls that they're pigs incapable of love and the soldier wants her to be educated and equal to him, in as much as she stays at home and doesn't work.
For a film about partly about sexual awakenings, it's pretty asexual in that aspect of maybe it's just that Amanda Donohoe with over-straighteners bleach-blonde hair in a white nightdress reminds me of Raiden from Mortal Kombat. Either way it's pretty unexciting or sexy. 


No comments: