Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fast Five or Fast and Furious -Rio Heist or The Rock's Goatee Rocks (2011)

So the score so far with this series is the first was crap (though it improves with repeat viewings), the 2nd one was worse - the 3rd one, I missed and the last one was pretty good. I could have referred to them by their given names but the filmmakers masochistically have given all the films the same name (except the 2nd one, that was just masochistically shit...) I've basically only liked one of the previous 4films, so why have I been looking forward to seeing this for months?
Well one major reason is it had a trailer that i never tired of seeing and I saw it a lot because of... *points around the room at all the previous posts* all this.  Mainly the part where they go over the cliff and listening to what people say always made me smile but then these are very unpretentious films.
Well...  they are and they aren't. A lot of the writing is so wooden and pulpy, that you could chop carrots on it and things generally blow up, smash or... explode? and then, sometimes we just like sequels not necessarily because we like the characters but because we know the deal and what to expect and it's comfortable. I think a lot of filmmakers forget that with a sequel comes a lot of freedom to build on whats come before; you can make something with less exposition and more time to spend on character and story. The most beloved sequel (probably) is The Godfather Part 2, a film that practically makes very reference to the film before and explores and builds exponentially on it. And I'm not even a Godfather fan but that's the way to do it. The best thing about the last movie was that it was wall-to-wall action because it didn't have to set anything up; we knew all the characters and it was a better version of the first one as far as I could tell.
This one, the 5th, is not as good as the last one. It's has a great 1st 30mins, it jerks around for an hour and then makes a triumphant victory lap on the last 30mins. I will say that whoever's idea it was to throw The Rock into the mix, for this one-Great ballsy idea. Dwayne 'the wrestler formerly known as The Rock' Johnson is probably my favorite modern action star. He's got the physical thing but he's also got a delightful acting range where he does light comedy and the tougher action too. I don't think he should be doing Disney movies but i don't think he should do morose violent shit like Faster (not part of this series, but the way...) but he fits in like a glove here and he's great at playing surley, which i don't think he's done since he left being The Rock. He gets the most cliché wrought lines to say and delivers them like butter wouldn't melt. More stuff like this, pally. And I dig that they bring back most of the secondary characters from the other films, like 'the gangs all here'.
Given the choice- I'd suggest watching yesterday's TT3D, this weekend if you can but Fast Five is honourable 2nd place...

I watched Fast And Furious 5 (2011) at the cinema.
My 2011 in Movies will return with Arthur (2011)...


No comments: