Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Scouting Book For Boys (2009)



I don't know about you but I can't deny the little-brother style affection I have for Thomas Turgoose. 
With his big eyes and his pouty face, I just want to take him under my wing and cheer him up. He made an amazing debut in This Is England; it's probably my favorite child performance ever. There's just something about him; charisma would seen like the wrong word but he's sensitive and angst despite his age. He's like a chavvy young Eeyore. In The Scouting Book For Boys, he plays a character a bit older- David who spends all his time with his best friend, Emily. They live on a caravan park and generally spend most of their time messing around and causing mischief but it's fairly innocent stuff. This all changes when Emily has to leave and decides to runaway...
At this point I have to say, I know Thomas Turgoose is good but Holliday Grainger playing Emily is almost better or at least as good. She's just so natural at selling 2 or 3 conflicting emotions at the same time. I hope this gets her more work-I'm sure it will.
So Emily has run away and is hiding in a cave, depending on David to bring her clothes and food- which there's no doubt he'll do; he would do anything for her.
It's obvious from the outset that he has a crush on her and she... she's unsure exactly how she feels- she shares a strong bond with him and they're more than just friends; it's more sisterly affection.
It's this area that I can tell the writer, Jack Thorne loves playing in- the types of affection; familial vs. romantic and being young and growing, love and affection are messy exercises anyway. There's another character, an older boy expertly played by Rafe Spall, who is caught in this love triangle. He feels a big-brother sort of affection but he isn't being responsibly affectionate to Emily.
As things move on and David realises that he didn't realise how close Emily and the older boy have been, it's just becomes heartbreaking to watch this poor boy's heart being broken and eventually, losing and trying to retain his grip on what he holds dear. It's just amazing acting from a well-made script.
I think this is a brilliant film and i'm sad it didn't get more attention in this country but it's got cult classic written all over it. It's just beautifully shot by Tom Harper, another young UK director with enough chops to do whatever he likes.I don't but most of the scenes (caves withstanding) look like they could be 50's Americana- wide open landscapes, beautiful sunsets but then you realise it's probably Dorset or somewhere similar.
Harper and Thorne have paid their dues in terms of UK tv, like Shameless, Skins, Misfits but i'm glad they got a shot to work on a bigger canvas- They did good!
I'm just proud I live in a country that makes a Thomas Turgoose vehicle every year...

I watched The Scouting Book For Boys (2009) on DVD via LoveFilm.
My 2011 in Movies will return with The Secret In Their Eyes (2009)...

No comments: