Saturday, February 19, 2011

Paul (2011)

Who can deny the charm of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost sharing the screen?
Yeah, you liked Pegg before you'd ever heard of Nick and if you see Nick turn up in something, you get a cosy feeling but they're never as effective as when they're working together. I mean they're obviously great friends and would never tire of each others company but it totally translates on screen too.
So the idea of watching Paul, something they both wrote too is a simple prospect to accept. But after a half-hour into watching Paul, there was one guy I couldn't stop thinking of. Edgar Wright. Damn my cynical brain but I was less watching a film with Pegg & Frost but a film that wasn't directed by Edgar Wright. I've always had a weird feeling coming out if his films but now I realise what it was. When I saw Shaun Of The Dead and when I saw Hot Fuzz, I was very confllicted. I knew I had really liked what I had saw but I felt a bit batter and bruised and tired. These feelings were even more extreme after seeing Scott Pilgrim. But I think I understand what it meant now. An Edgar Wright production packs so much entertainment into every frame, be it action or comedy- that it just knackers me out. It's exhausting. So watching Paul has helped me in the respect of figuring out that mystery. But sadly I can't judge Paul singularly by it's own merits and the style of Edgar Wright in conspicuous by it's absence. But let me be clear, this is no diss to Greg Mottola. I love him and I liked Adventureland and LOVED Superbad. It's just that Paul, while I did enjoy it and it's funny... It's not firing on all cylinders; it's just a cultureshock to see Pegg and Frost in this paired down visual style I guess and that's me; that's no else's fault.So if you can get passed that overwrought and basically unfair point; there is a lot to like about this movie. A great American cast of some of my favorite current comedy actors like Bill Hader and Jo Le Truglio, who both were in Superbad- who play dumb FBI (!?) agents and Kristen Wiig who's currently on SNL with Hader. These are all guys, if I find out they are in a movie-I will endeavor to see it. You already know I unashamedly love Seth Rogen so i'll simply say he's quite good in his part as a Seth Rogen alien. But all is not right in the world of Pegg and Frost.For some strange reason, they've swopped roles. Yeah. In this one, they've decided after those 1,2-2 films, that they've grown weary of Frost playing the silly one and Pegg playing the grown-up one and they've swopped. I know i shouldn't be so frumpy about what's such a sweet and pleasant film but Frost and Pegg swopping roles was a bit of shark-jump for me. Please go see Paul as such endeavors should be encouraged but don't go expecting an Edgar Wright production. It's like watching the side-project of a band you like and you're just kinda willing it to be just as good.



I watched Paul (2011) at the cinema.
My 2011 In Movies will return with the mammoth double bill of Troll 2(1990) / Best Worst Movie (2009)...


No comments: