Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jar City (2006)

I'm about vaguely literate. Not actively reading books and literature is one of the great failings of my life but I know that Moreover crime fiction is massive at the moment, especially the Millennium Trilogy ('The Girl... ' books) and despite being similar to Katie Price in the sense, i write more than I read; i did actually read that whole trilogy within a month when as i say it usually takes me a 3months to read one book. It does make me wonder about society when these dark detective stories of child abuse, police corruption, drugs, incest, snow and... oh yeah, murders, are so popular. I still don't understand the appeal. Either way, coming from Iceland- Jar City must have been one of the first of the recent slew in the early 2000's before they made it into a film in 2006.
I guess the main difference between the Norse boys and 'Girl' and more homegrown or North American fare, is these investigators are far more troubled than the sort of people their investigating. The detective in Jar City is smokes like a chimney, eats sheep heads and his daughter is a junky when she not prostituting (or is that the other way around?). The story is that they're trying to find the murderer and trace the family of a lone trucker killed from a blow to the head by an ashtray. Cue family revelations and violent deaths.
I guess what's good about the detective character is he is gruff and grumpy but but not shouty or physical.  He's opinionated but practical.


No comments: